PRL Intercooler temps?

nodnarb901

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Using the built in gauges in the Log-R app I see my intake temps are about 30 degrees over the outside temp when I’m moving, and 40-50 degrees over when I’m sitting still.
How much would the PRL intercooler help bring those down?
Sponsored

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Type R, 2006 s2000, 2022 Ram TRX, 2005 srt-4
Build Thread
Link
Using the built in gauges in the Log-R app I see my intake temps are about 30 degrees over the outside temp when I’m moving, and 40-50 degrees over when I’m sitting still.
Well that is air inlet temperature, the intercooler will cool it more if it is upgraded. But it really depends on what you want.

Also there is a sensor post intercooler but it is not available in log R as far as I know. You can see it with Hondata though.

OP
OP
nodnarb901

nodnarb901

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Well that is air inlet temperature, the intercooler will cool it more if it is upgraded. But it really depends on what you want.

Also there is a sensor post intercooler but it is not available in log R as far as I know. You can see it with Hondata though.
Thank you for the reply.
I don't track it, but here in the south it gets really hot/humid.
It may be a placebo effect, but in the morinings when the intake temps are cooler It feels like I have a bit more power. Later in the day or after driving and getting the motor nice and hot if feels like it has a little less power. I'm hoping by upgrading the intercooler I will have a noticable difference as I hope to keep the intake temps down. I even considered making an intercooler sprayer similar to what came on my 04 STi.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thank you for the reply.
I don't track it, but here in the south it gets really hot/humid.
It may be a placebo effect, but in the morinings when the intake temps are cooler It feels like I have a bit more power. Later in the day or after driving and getting the motor nice and hot if feels like it has a little less power. I'm hoping by upgrading the intercooler I will have a noticable difference as I hope to keep the intake temps down. I even considered making an intercooler sprayer similar to what came on my 04 STi.
So air temps will bring power down. The intercooler will keep it more consistent but if the intake air temps at the first sensor are too high it will kill power anyway.

[Js]

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Honda Type R
I read this thread at work today so on the way home I had a look - was 71 out today and @ wot temp was 95 and that’s with the PRL inter cooler - now obviously your driving conditions and temps may vary - that was going 70 in a 45 .. or so I heard.
🤣

OP
OP
nodnarb901

nodnarb901

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
I read this thread at work today so on the way home I had a look - was 71 out today and @ wot temp was 95 and that’s with the PRL inter cooler - now obviously your driving conditions and temps may vary - that was going 70 in a 45 .. or so I heard.
🤣
Ok good to know about 24 degrees. seems like it’s cooler than the oem. Probably going to buy one.

[Js]

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Honda Type R
The difference in size and quality is night and day - was floored at how dainty and small the OEM inter cooler actually is compared to the PRL version.

[Js]

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Honda Type R
Ok good to know about 24 degrees. seems like it’s cooler than the oem. Probably going to buy one.
May have dropped lower but that was the temp when I glanced down - was traffic time too so didn’t have time to stare at the dash.

menikmati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STI, BRZ, FL5
Thank you for the reply.
I don't track it.
I even considered making an intercooler sprayer similar to what came on my 04 STi.
I have an intercooler spray on my STI and for daily use it's more of a novelty than anything. It may be more beneficial on that platform since it was a TMIC instead of FM.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
🤣
But those were logged in Hondata or just looking at LogR? If so you need to look at IAT 2 to really tell.

Here is an example with the PRL intercooler. It is usually 15-20 degrees cooler than what is displayed in the logR post intercooler.

11th Gen Honda Civic PRL Intercooler temps? IMG_4289

Djseto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Mazda RX7, 2023 Boost Blue FL5
So wait…the ecu is adjusting using pre intercooler temps (the sensor we can’t see) and not the post intercooler temp (what’s in the LogR)?

@PointByPatrol had a PRL on his last FL5 (RIP) and did a track day OEM on his new FL5 and had zero issues with heat. We are also in the south.

it’s however amazing what a good IC will do in any car. I run a Greddy Vmount in my single turbo FD RX7. That engine and my engine bay gets very hot. I drove it yesterday for the first time in a month and my air intake temp post IC was only 5-10 degrees above ambient when moving. When I see the temps in my FL5 it always gives me a little panic but the car drives just fine so I really don’t pay attention.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So wait…the ecu is adjusting using pre intercooler temps (the sensor we can’t see) and not the post intercooler temp (what’s in the LogR)?

@PointByPatrol had a PRL on his last FL5 (RIP) and did a track day OEM on his new FL5 and had zero issues with heat. We are also in the south.

it’s however amazing what a good IC will do in any car. I run a Greddy Vmount in my single turbo FD RX7. That engine and my engine bay gets very hot. I drove it yesterday for the first time in a month and my air intake temp post IC was only 5-10 degrees above ambient when moving. When I see the temps in my FL5 it always gives me a little panic but the car drives just fine so I really don’t pay attention.
So on his new car with the stock intercooler he was talking about Coolant temps. His IAT’s must have been pretty high since the stock intercooler heat soaks pretty quickly but he would not have been able to see them since he did not have Hondata. So no way to tell unless you have a stock car with Hondata or a scanner reading the sensor and take it to the track.

Also the inlet air temps are used to do calculations for the ecu. A high IAT at the intake is programmed to bring down the power on the car. But it takes everything into account.

Same thing with the coolant temp sensors, the ecu goes off the Coolant temp sensor 1 which is the hottest reading and not off the second one which is considerably cooler.

Djseto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Mazda RX7, 2023 Boost Blue FL5
Gotcha on the coolant vs IAT readings.

What I don't get is why Honda is using the IAT sensor before the intercooler. I would think you'd want it post IC since that's what is fed into the intake manifold.

My only experince here is with my FD and Haltech ECU and when I did the install, the guidance from my tuner and the community was to install the IAT sensor as close to the intake manifold as possible so the ECU has the best temp reading for the air flowing in post intercooler.

I'm more curious than anything as to why Honda is using the one pre-intercooler since post intercooler the temps will be different....unless I read your response above wrong.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Gotcha on the coolant vs IAT readings.

What I don't get is why Honda is using the IAT sensor before the intercooler. I would think you'd want it post IC since that's what is fed into the intake manifold.

My only experince here is with my FD and Haltech ECU and when I did the install, the guidance from my tuner and the community was to install the IAT sensor as close to the intake manifold as possible so the ECU has the best temp reading for the air flowing in post intercooler.

I'm more curious than anything as to why Honda is using the one pre-intercooler since post intercooler the temps will be different....unless I read your response above wrong.
Yes when doing standalones you want the air entering the engine to be as accurate as possible.

The type R uses both sensors for calculations, but when the pre intercooler sensor detects too much heat it dials it down to keep everything safe. Remember the car has to last for the warranty period.

So to be clear, both sensors are used. But the pre intercooler one plays a huge role on killing power.

Jester04

CivicX Basic Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It kills a bunch of power actually after the IAT has a high discrepancy from the ambient temp. I think a better intake solution would leas to more consistent power in the street, track and even the dyno.
Sponsored