FL5 Overheated on Track

Dennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic e:Hev
Nice job mate.

As a suggestion for fender liner openings, on my previous FK9 (EUDM 10th gen turbodiesel) the intercooler was side mounted below the left headlight and there was a nice and effective vent.
It should be easily adaptable to any liner, I guess.

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Overheated on Track DSC_1363.JPG
Sponsored

siwelnosaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Nice job mate.

As a suggestion for fender liner openings, on my previous FK9 (EUDM 10th gen turbodiesel) the intercooler was side mounted below the left headlight and there was a nice and effective vent.
It should be easily adaptable to any liner, I guess.

DSC_1363.JPG
Do you have a part number for this vent by chance?

siwelnosaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Was able to fit the driven crazy fk8 hypothermia kit onto the fl5 oem crash bar successfully! Will be testing on the street until I'm able to take it to the track this fall.

Did require me to make a custom bracket which you can see the mock up with cardboard and painters tape. Basically the bracket is just a rectangular piece of steel sheet metal I got from the hardware store. It's bolted to the inside of the bottom of the crash bar, with holes made to just barely fit the posts/bushings of the radiator. The bottom bracket is rock solid.

Some of the core is hidden behind the crash bar, but the top portion of the core is exposed and will still take up the entire grill area. Even if the bottom was fully exposed it wouldn't get air due to the limitations of the size of the grill opening.

I also had to cut the middle of the bulkhead to create enough vertical clearance for the radiator, otherwise the posts/bushings were directly touching the PRL intercooler. Plus this allowed me to have a little more of the radiator available to catch air flow.

I used the support brackets from the kit to stabilize the top of the radiator by bolting them to some rigid tabs of the OEM radiator support that hang down.

The hoses from the kit route through a small gap in the OEM radiator support. They barely fit but they are not kinked or squeezed (I will monitor if the lines start to show any wear in the upcoming months). The lines tap in as designed into the bottom of the radiator and into the thermostat. The thermostat hose did have to get about 1.5" cut on the side that plugs into the hypothermia core as it was just a little long.

I do have some ideas to share with driven crazy to make install much easier and to where it would not require any modification/cutting. We will see if we are able to successfully implement these changes to make a kit that is more consumer friendly. For now though I myself will run this set up and monitor it for reliability (hoses mostly) and performance (I can't see why it shouldn't be equal to the fk8 set up).

11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Overheated on Track 20240628_204358
11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Overheated on Track 20240628_123852
11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Overheated on Track 20240628_123737
11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Overheated on Track Screenshot_20240629_054047_Photos
11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Overheated on Track Screenshot_20240629_054004_Photos
11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Overheated on Track Screenshot_20240629_054021_Photos
11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Overheated on Track 20240628_123323
11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Overheated on Track 20240628_204403
11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Overheated on Track 20240628_113004
11th Gen Honda Civic FL5 Overheated on Track 20240628_113027~2
Sponsored