Accidentally put half a tank of 87 octane in my Type R. Anything to worry about?

MYK20C1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R SGP; 2018 Clarity Touring
Had a brain fart and topped the car up with 87, so I guess I'm mid grade now.
Any worries seeing as I drive like Grandma most days and generally top it off once a week, or around half a tank of use?
No worries if you don’t put you foot into it!
Sponsored

WhoCares

First Name
Who
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Honda Civic
Oh lucky you the car is smarter than most of the replies.

TypeRD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Oh lucky you the car is smarter than most of the replies.
Oh lucky you the car cannot prevent knock that is already happening hence most of the smart replies.

Zone47

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 Civic type R, MK7 GTI, Toyota 4x4
No problem when I did it. I pumped several gallons of 87 as the station was out of 93. I drive pretty easy around town anyway but then was curious how much slower it is under boost. Honda has their stuff figured out. The car is still surprisingly quick even on regular. No pings, knocks or other odd things. It mixed with some 93 still in the tank, so it might have been 88-89ish octane by then, who knows. I'm sure if Honda says you can run on regular, it's engineered not to kill the engine if you do.

I'd love to see an accurate power differential of how much you lose between different grades and even brands of fuel. I don't know how quickly the computer adjusts to changes in fuel, so it might be a tricky thing getting it done on the same dyno, the same day.
Sponsored